Monday, January 21, 2013

Quick Weekday Breakfasts

The morning is my personal favorite time of the day, there is something magical about the way the suns first rays light up the sky. A new day is a new start, a chance to try new things, meet new people,explore different places. While most of us are stuck in daily routines, be it school, work, or both chances are that "today" will most likely be like yesterday and the day before and the day before and so on. But the morning is prime time for dreamers like myself because there is always that slight chance that today could be different, no one really knows for certain what the start of each day will bring and perhaps this is why I have come to love mornings so much because there is a certain mystery and excitement to it. It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am a firm believer of this philosophy. So here's a good question, why do so many people skip it?? Being a university student I completely understand what lack of sleep is, its much easier to stay in bed and hit snooze a few more times than to make the effort to get up and make some oatmeal.  But I assure you if you start to make that effort, over time it will become easier and eventually....enjoyable! Breakfast is a chance for you to set the tone and mood of your day. Instead of hitting snooze how about you treat yourself to one of these delicious quick breakfast options for your busy week day...you deserve it! Let your body and mind have a healthy start to the day as you ponder upon the question "What will today bring?"
Bonjour et Bon App!


Strawberry-Coconut Smoothie 
I found this one in the January issue of Whole Living, smoothies are a great way to start the day. Doesn't get much easier than tossing ingredients into a blender!
Makes 1 Serving
Blend one cup of frozen strawberries, 1 banana  2 Tbsp light coconut milk, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 3/4               cup water until smooth


Chai Steeped Oatmeal with Banana and Walnut
Everyone has had oatmeal, and it can get boring quick so I like to experiment with ways to keep it interesting and palate pleasing.
I like to use old fashioned quick cooking oats because you still get all that delicious texture as steel cut oatmeal, but don't have to cook it as long. Use your favorite brand of chai for this recipe, my personal favorite if mariage freres...but that is the tea snob in me. I realize that not everyone has french tea in their cupboards so any organic brand will work well for this. I say organic because I have found that if artificial ingredients are used in a chai blend it usually ends up tasting like liquid big red gum....yuck!
Steep the chai tea in one cup of water, when finished steeping add 1/2 cup of old fashioned quick cooking oats, a dash of salt and microwave for one minute. Add some fresh chopped bananas and walnuts et voila! Breakfast is served. Enjoy with some fresh juice or coffee, or maybe a side of Chai!

Blueberry Mint Smoothie
Again this one is from the January issue of Whole Living. I really enjoyed the flavor blends of this one, very unique. The mint really comes through making this smoothie extra refreshing and energizing.
Makes 1 Serving
Blend one cup frozen bluberries, 1/2 avocado (small one), 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, 1 tsp lemon juice (don't leave this out, it really brings the flavors together!), and 1/2 cup water until smooth.



2 comments:

  1. Il est délicieux le smoothie aux myrtilles ! I was a bit suspicious of the avocado but it gave it a very creamy feel. I added a bit more OJ and a spoonful of honey. I can't wait to try the strawberry-coconut one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! Avocados are great in smoothies but I feel like a little goes a long way, I personally added a bit more lemon juice, honey sounds like it would be great in this one also!

    ReplyDelete